Monday, May 9, 2011

Saturday morning...

What better way to start off the day than with a good dose of STRENF!

Strength Skill: Strict Press
The second week of the strict press had a rep progression of 3-3-3-1-1, I had a personal record (PR) of 87lbs. after having failed a 90lbs. attempt.... oh but what a difference 3lbs. makes. Next week is the last week in the cycle and I am confident that I can push past those 3lbs.!

Met Con
4 Rounds
Row 250m
20 Mountain Climbers
15 Pull-Ups

Rowing is not necessarily one of my favorite thing to do, as I'd rather run, but we got to work on things we don't like in order to get better. I scaled the pull-ups with the red band because I knew this would be challenging enough and it is always best to play it smart. It is important to remember proper technique so if I know my technique will suffer, then it is perfectly fine to scale. What is the point of doing something, if you aren't doing it right, right? Scaling means adjusting the workout to a level that you are physically capable of achieving (CrossFit Journal). There are several variables that you can adjust: weight, reps, rounds, time, etc.

In this workout I scaled the pull-ups using a band. The rubber band is attached to the pull-up bar allowing you to perform kipping pull-ups with some assistance. By using the band you can safely develop the skill when the strength isn't there. I've definitely come a long way from the beginning of my CrossFit days when I would use the thick black band most beginners start with. I bet if I tried to use it today, it would shoot me through the roof! I can manage to chain together 4-5 unassisted kipping pull ups and an ultimate goal is to break free from the band completely! Black, green, blue, red, purple, FREEDOM!

Results: 14:57

2 comments:

  1. Very nice, AP! You make CF sound so fun AND achievable! I feel like trying CrossFit again! (Oops, I hope Tim doesn't see this...Give me a few months, Tim, and I'll try again!). Alma, thanks for being an inspiration. Keep it up! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michele, I have no doubt that you can be successful at CrossFit! It took me a couple months to get fully committed and now I couldn't imagine my life without it... I would love for you to come back on board!

    ReplyDelete